West Coast Life Insurance Company
Founded in 1906, and a subsidiary of Protective Life Insurance Company since 1997, West Coast Life Insurance Company is a nationwide provider of life insurance with a long history as an industry innovator.
Smart, competitive insurance solutions
Our broad portfolio of permanent, term and term-like life insurance products can play a vital role in family income protection, wealth preservation, and estate planning. West Coast Life also offers a selection of fixed and immediate annuities, easily customized to meet your clients’ long-term retirement income needs.
Industry leaders for more than a century
San Francisco-based West Coast Life Insurance Company was founded just days before the great earthquake and fire of 1906. Fully adopting the enterprising spirit of the West, we responded by offering a reconstruction loan to San Francisco residents—the first among many industry innovations for which we are recognized and respected. Forward-thinking business practices like these have defined our business for more than a century.
A tradition of being first
West Coast Life is responsible for many innovations in the life insurance industry. We are well-known and respected for being the first of any company to:
- Establish an American life insurance company in Hawaii (1907), the Philippines (1910), China (1921), and Hong Kong (1923);
- Issue a group policy west of the Mississippi and write the first group case west of the Rocky Mountains;
- Issue an Unemployment Compensation Disability policy;
- Offer a Last Survivor Universal Life policy in the state of California;
- Grant a 1/12 annual premium under the check-o-matic plan—a concept and name later adopted industry-wide, and;
- Issue automatic premium loans and provide an automatic premium loan provision in a life insurance policy
Protect Tomorrow. Embrace Today.TM
Our mission is to embrace the needs of our customer by providing solutions that are smart and competitive. Our philosophy of doing the right thing for the people we serve has continued to help us remain a leader in the life insurance and annuity businesses for over 100 years.